6 Summer Car Care Essentials
It’s the first day of summer and we wanted to share our essential summer car care tips. Extreme hot temperatures like we experience in Charleston can negatively impact your vehicle. Whether you are hitting the road for a summer vacation or staying home, take these precautions to avoid breakdowns and protect your car through the summer heat.
- Check your tire pressure every two weeks. Temperature fluctuations can cause 1-2lbs of tire pressure loss per month. We recommend filling your tires 2lbs above the recommended level.
- Check your fluids when your vehicle is cold as fluids will rise when hot including brake fluid, wiper washer fluid, and most importantly coolant as these can all be affected by heat.
- Have your air-conditioning A preventative temperature and pressure check is a good way to guard against an unexpected system failure and make sure both are meeting specifications.
- We recommend changing your oil a little sooner than usual because heat causes oil to break down.
- Drive belts should be inspected for wear and tear prior to a road trip.
- There many plus sides to coastal living, but sand and salt can damage your car. Wash your car if you have been to the beach.
Of course, you may bring your car in and we would be happy to inspect these items for you. If you have any questions, please contact our Service team.