How to Change a Flat Tire
Knowing how to change a flat tire is a good skill to know, even if you have a roadside assistance package. Getting a flat tire is a routine hazard of driving and there may come a time when you need to do it yourself.
Before you are faced with an emergency make sure your car is sufficiently equipped to change a flat tire.
- Spare tire. We recommend making sure that your spare tire is properly inflated whenever you have your tires rotated.
- Jack and lug wrench
- Wheel wedges
- Reflective triangles or flares
- Flat tire repair kit
- If you get a flat tire, slowly drive to a safe location such as a shoulder, side street or parking lot
- Ideally, you should be on flat ground not an incline
- Post a flare or emergency triangle
- Place a wedge under a tire as an extra precaution
- Loosen the lug nuts first
- Raise the car using the jack
- Remove lug nuts by hand and put them in a safe spot where you cannot lose them
- Remove the tire
- Install spare
- Hand tighten lug nuts
- Lower the vehicle slowly
- Use the lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts. You need to use a criss-cross pattern ie. Tighten one and then tighten the nut directly opposite
If you have any questions please watch our YouTube video or contact us.